Åre's Tastiest Waffles
Waffle indulgence! Waffles rarely taste better than on a cold winter’s day in the mountains. We have listed some popular places for you to seek out where you can enjoy some super tasty waffles. Chose between just sitting down and getting served or baking your own waffles as part of the experience!
In Björnen you’ll find Bergstugan at Fröå Gruva. Strap your cross-country skis on and chose the 10 k-track at the Åre XC Arena in Björnen. After about five kilometres you’ll see a sign – turn and eat your way through their menu of delicious waffles. You can also go by car up to Fröå Gruva, driving a few kilometres past the Åre XC arena.
If you’re in the Åre ski arena there are also options such as Våffelkåtan by Igloo Åre close to the upper station of VM8an ski lift, and the skier friendly “waffle on a stick” at Kaffebaren next to VM8:an’s valley station. In Björnen you will find waffles at Lilla Tyrolen, adjacent to Järvsvängen.
Lillåstugans våffelbruk is located between Ullådalen and Tegefjäll and you can get there via the Ullådalen XC-trails, using Ski Touring skis or cross-country equipment, or Fjällvallsliften in Tegefjäll if you prefer alpine skiing. It doesn’t matter how you get there – it’s well worth the effort!
Vita Renen is the place to go if you’re heading to Södra (south) Årefjällen and want to much some waffles. Vita Renen (The White Reindeer) is located on Renfjället, where you can go by the ski lift in Edsåsdalen and hook up with a track vehicle that takes you all the way to the top, or via the cross-country tracks from Köjagården.
Another tip for Södra (south) Årefjällen is the popular excursion site Ytterstvallen about 4 kilometres of cross-country skiing from Trillevallen. You can also get there from Ottsjö. Check out the opening hours at Trillevallens Högfjällshotell’s website.
Bake your own waffles over an open fire! Book your event beforehand, make your way to the beautiful Fröå Camp and bake your waffles with local activity operator Explore Åre. Put your skis on, go towards Fröå and top off your day out with some amazingly tasty waffles. Find out more and book your event here >> PLEAS NOTE that you need to book this activity in advance (see the link above).
Waffle Restaurants and Activities in Short
- Lilla Tyrolen | A cosy restaurant where you can eat your waffles while enjoying the beautiful view of Åreskutan.
- Bergstugan | Nibble on tasty homemade food and don’t miss the cloudberry jam!
- Våffelkåtan | Chose between a variety of toppings. A cosy place for the whole family to sit down and rest.
- Kaffebaren | Open when the lifts are operating – a simpler alternative if you are in a hurry to get back out.
- Lillåstugans våffelbruk | Enjoy the calm of Ullådalen’s untouched nature and a traditional waffle at one of Åre’s oldest food places.
- Vita Renen | It is SO worth to go all the way up to Vita Renen to enjoy the calm, the taste and a great view.
- Ytterstvallen Trillevallens Högfjällshotell | Put your skis on and head for Ytterstvallen for a great outdoor experience.
- Explore Åre | Book an event for your family or friends. Put your skis on and make baking your own waffles the highlight of your day.
Last updated 26 March 2021